Introduction to Counselling & Listening Skills (ITC)
Free, Online Open Event
Join us for a FREE online event to discuss the pathways to becoming a UK accredited counsellor with our qualified team of counsellors, practitioners and tutors. This event is a chance to find out more about the course and our full course availability, meet others online and ask any questions you may have about the training.
Our entry level course for those who would like to develop their listening skills and explore counselling skills. We run these courses throughout the year.
We have adapted our Introduction to Counselling Skills courses to run effectively on-line, if government guidelines prevents face-to-face training. We also offer flexible bookings – for example, if the course you book converts to an on-line event and you want to defer until you can join a face-to-face course, this can be arranged.
Why study this course?
The GCS Introduction to Counselling & Listening Skills course (ITC) has been running for many years and receives consistently excellent feedback. The course provides an overview of the counselling process as well as training in core listening and counselling skills.
Listening is a key life-skill that everyone engages in, whether consciously or not and it is a skill that everyone can develop and master at a deeper level. Participants regularly report that this course has enabled them to have more meaningful conversations, enhanced their relationships – both at home and work and it has opened up a deeper self-awareness.
This course offers an enjoyable and enriching personal development activity and it can also be a first step to further training, potentially marking the beginning of your journey to becoming a trained, professional counsellor. Delivered by qualified and experienced counsellors, the ITC provides participants with a professional and rich learning experience.
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if:
- You have a counselling function in your work, this includes health workers, teachers & teaching assistants, providers of social services & care, managers & supervisors in a team leading role and those working / volunteering in charitable and 3rd sector organisations.
- You are interested in finding out more about counselling as a career – it provides a ‘low risk’ way to explore the world of counselling.
- You are interested in personal development, and want to develop core communications skills to use at home and at work.
Overview of the Course
The course provides an introduction to experiential learning in a supportive environment, it aims to:
- Introduce you to the counselling process.
- Give you an insight into personal growth work, allowing you to understand its place in counselling training.
- Develop your awareness of what counselling is and what is not, where it is appropriate to use and the basic ethics and responsibilities involved.
A range of topics are covered over the course including:
- An introduction to basic counselling theories.
- Introducing and practicing basic counselling skills.
- Exploring attitudes, values and beliefs about human nature.
- Exploring and acquiring ways of responding through sharing ideas and feedback.
How is it delivered?
We offer the course in a number of formats:
Intensive weekend courses suitable for anyone short on time, who cannot commit to a regular weekly session or who wants an intensive training experience with a small group.
A one week summer course, running 10am – 3pm over 5 days. The next course is 1st – 5th August 2022.
The course uses experiential learning methods (drawing on your own experiences) which involve:
- Thinking about what you would like to get out of the training.
- Examining and reflecting on attitudes and beliefs.
- Developing self-awareness through sharing experiences with others.
- Practicing new ways of relating to other group members and receiving feedback.
There are no formal entry requirements.
What after this course?
A natural next step following this course is The Certificate in Counselling Skills course, which provides a more in-depth skills training for anyone considering a career in counselling or to enhance their skills in a community role or in the workplace. Other training routes, including more specialized Child & Family courses may also be appropriate for you, contact us to discuss your training and career options: [email protected] Call: 01453 766 310
Intensive ITC – 9/10 October 2021 – Stroud
11 Places Available
Intensive ITC – 27/28 November 2021 – Online via Zoom
11 Places Available
Intensive ITC – 12/13 February 2022 – Stroud
12 Places Available
Intensive ITC – 26/27 March 2022 – Stroud
12 Places Available