Certificate In Counselling Skills
Interested in this course?
We are currently accepting prospective applications for our courses starting in September 2022 and January 2023.
For more information click here to book onto an open event.
Why study this course
The Certificate in Counselling Skills (CCS) provides valuable core training in counselling and listening skills. It is a highly experiential programme designed to enhance these skills, develop ways of understanding patterns of human growth and behaviour and increase your self-awareness. It provides a solid foundation and is a requirement (or other equivalent training completed) for progression on to the Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling training course.
To apply for this course please complete the application form below or direct any queries to the email address: [email protected]
This course is for you if…
- You are interested in pursuing a professional counselling qualification.
- You have a counselling function in your work including health workers, teachers & teaching assistants, providers of social services & care, managers & supervisors in a team leading role and those working / volunteering in charitable and 3rd sector organisations.
- You are interested in personal development.
Given that a strong, trusting relationship is the foundation of all counselling, whichever approach is followed, this course is centred on how to create and use a relationship to best support another. This includes:
- Learning about the importance of the working alliance and boundary-setting within counselling and other helping activities.
- Learning basic counselling techniques and the skills of active listening in order to facilitate the client’s own problem solving and development. Offering opportunities for the development of self-awareness, empathy and other qualities that will facilitate your growth as active listeners and counsellors
- Providing basic theory to provide a framework for your practice and to learn elements of basic developmental theory informed by psychodynamic ideas.
How this course is delivered
- Thirty 3.5 hour sessions from September – July broken down into a weekly 1.5 hour seminar which focuses on skills and understanding and a 1.5 hour self awareness (experiential) group which supports the development of your own self awareness 1 compulsory Saturday workshop per term
- Breaks to coincide with Gloucestershire school holidays
- 18 days from January – July broken down into 3 (2 day) weekends and 4 (3 day) long weekends, including 2 compulsory Saturday workshops
The CCS course is a highly experiential course delivered by qualified and experienced counsellors and group facilitators. The training places great emphasis on reflection, the giving and receiving of feedback and challenges as well as open and constructive dialogue.
There are no formal prior qualifications, however many participants find that completing the Introduction to Counselling and Listening Skills course prior to studying on the Certificate course provides them with a solid foundation and introduction to the counselling process. We do ensure that all potential participants demonstrate self-awareness and are ready to emotionally engage to fully benefit from this training.
Where & when the course runs
How to apply
Please complete the Certificate Application Form 2022/2023 to apply for this course.
Course Fee 2022/2023: £1749. A non-refundable deposit of £249 will be required to confirm and reserve your place.
For more information download our: