Certificate In Counselling Skills
Interested in this course?
We are currently accepting applications for our Courses which commence in September 2021 – see dates and details below. All courses are now FULL except for the Intensive course. We are still welcoming applications for all of our courses. If your chosen dates are full we will add your name to a waiting list and contact you if a space becomes available.
Why study this course
The Certificate in Counselling Skills (CCS) provides valuable core training in counselling and listening skills. It is a highly experiential programme designed to enhance these skills, develop ways of understanding patterns of human growth and behaviour and increase your self-awareness. It provides a solid foundation and is a requirement (or other equivalent training completed) for progression on to the Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling training course.
To apply for this course please complete the application form below or direct any queries to the email address: [email protected]
This course is for you if…
- You are interested in pursuing a professional counselling qualification.
- You have a counselling function in your work including health workers, teachers & teaching assistants, providers of social services & care, managers & supervisors in a team leading role and those working / volunteering in charitable and 3rd sector organisations.
- You are interested in personal development.
Given that a strong, trusting relationship is the foundation of all counselling, whichever approach is followed, this course is centred on how to create and use a relationship to best support another. This includes:
- Learning about the importance of the working alliance and boundary-setting within counselling and other helping activities.
- Learning basic counselling techniques and the skills of active listening in order to facilitate the client’s own problem solving and development. Offering opportunities for the development of self-awareness, empathy and other qualities that will facilitate your growth as active listeners and counsellors
- Providing basic theory to provide a framework for your practice and to learn elements of basic developmental theory informed by psychodynamic ideas.
How this course is delivered
The CCS course is a highly experiential course delivered over 1 year (30 weeks) or our intensive 6 month programme which spans a number of weekends. The course is delivered by qualified and experienced counsellors and group facilitators, it includes:
- A weekly one and a half hour seminar which focuses on skills & understanding. It uses role-play and small group exercises to help you understand and apply the fundamental skills of listening and to create a sound working alliance.
- A one and a half hour self-awareness group (sometimes called an ‘experiential’ group) which supports the development of your own self-awareness, awareness of others and your experience in recognising and articulating your feelings.
- A termly Saturday workshop which focus on skills development and practise through role-play.
- This training places a great emphasis on reflection, the giving and receiving of feedback and challenges as well as open and constructive dialogue.
There are no formal prior qualifications, however many participants find that completing the Introduction to Counselling and Listening Skills course prior to studying on the Certificate course provides them with a solid foundation and introduction to the counselling process. We do ensure that all potential participants demonstrate self-awareness and are ready to emotionally engage to fully benefit from this training.
Where & when the course runs
To apply for this course please complete the following application form
Course Fee 2021/2022: £1699. A non-refundable deposit of £200 will be required to confirm and reserve your place.