Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
Free, Online Open Event
Join us for a FREE online event to discuss the pathways to becoming a UK accredited counsellor with our qualified team of counsellors, practitioners and tutors. This event is a chance to find out more about the course and our full course availability, meet others online and ask any questions you may have about the training.
The Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling is a highly-regarded, work-based clinical training which GCS has been delivering for over 25 years. The course leads to a professional qualification and provides the clinical and theoretical elements of the training to become a psychodynamic counsellor.
The training runs over three years and combines theoretical understanding with clinical practice. All trainees are provided with a clinical placement within GCS’s Clinical Service. Clinical supervision of this work is an integral part of the course and is provided for trainees on site in Stroud. The Diploma training is accredited by BPC (British Psychoanalytic Council).
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at individuals who want to gain a professional qualification in counselling and ultimately, with post qualification training and experience, be able to gain professional accreditation as a counsellor.
As the Diploma is accredited by the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC), trainees automatically become members of the BPC trainee body and are entitled to belong to the BPC Trainees’ Association.
Overview of the Course
During this course you will participate in theoretical and ontological seminars, tutorial sessions, self-awareness groups, supervision and workshops, providing you with:
- A professional training and qualification, which is accredited and incorporates the relevant statutory training and competency requirements.
- A training that has a sound theoretical base and which is underpinned by an application of psychodynamic theory and thinking.
- Training that places strong emphasis on the value of regular supervision and the personal and professional development that comes from experiential learning and personal therapy.
- Direct experience of the organisational context within which practice takes place and the counsellor’s role within a counselling service.
- An environment with which trainees develop an appropriate value and belief system and their ability to demonstrate values that are relevant to anti-discriminatory practice.
- Transferable skills that are relevant to practitioners working with clients across a range of professional contexts.
In total the programme includes:
- 405 contact hours
- 189 hours of supervision
- 45 hours of workshops
- 200 hours of supervised client work
How is it delivered?
The course is delivered on a part-time basis with trainees attending one half day per week and in addition, undertaking supervised client work through the GCS Counselling Service.
At the time of making the initial application applicants are required to:
- Have successfully completed, or be about to complete, a basic course in counselling skills (i.e. Certificate in Counselling Skills) of not less than one year’s duration (trainees may have undertaken the skills training with GCS or have completed a training elsewhere which meets similar criteria).
- Be suitable to train as therapists and to work with clients at GCS.
- Have the potential to work at Diploma level.
Diploma trainees are required to be in once-weekly therapy with a GCS-approved therapist for the full duration of the course. The fee for therapy will be agreed between you and your therapist and is not included in course fees. The GCS therapy adviser will help you to find a therapist after you have been offered a place on the course. If you would like to begin therapy before this point, please contact us on [email protected] Tel: 01453 766 310
Successful completion of the Diploma qualifies trainees to apply for the GCS Associate Programme or to complete post qualification training with other counselling or voluntary organisations. Book a free appointment to discuss your training and career options: [email protected] Tel: 01453 766 310
Course Fees: £2799 (2021-2022). Please note that the fee is subject to CPI or 2% annual increase, whichever is the greater.
Application and selection fee is £120.
A non-refundable deposit of £400 will be required (that will deducted from the course fee).